Tuesday, April 06, 2010

Chile Rellenos Recipe

Before I forget how I made these delicious chile rellenos, I thought I'd share my recipe here! We had them for dinner, and I must say I'm proud of myself for sticking with my imagination on the ingredients because I love how these turned out! Since I didn't keep track of recipe amounts, I'm just going to explain what I did step-by-step.

Jackie's Chile Rellenos Recipe
Broil 2 poblano chiles in the oven until the skin is blistered. Make sure to turn them with tongs occasionally to brown on all sides. Remove from oven and place in closed plastic bag for 30 minutes to sweat. Remove the skin, cut one side lengthwise, and remove stem and seeds. Roll open and lay flat, ready to stuff. Brown a small amount of ground beef in a skillet. Season with salt, pepper, garlic powder, and chili powder. Just before completely browned, add diced onion. Turn the heat down to medium. Add green chiles, taco seasoning, pat or two of butter, a couple small cubes of cream cheese, skinned and diced tomatoes (seeds and juice, too -- everything), and 2 Tbsp salsa. Turn off heat. Fill the chiles with the meat mixture and a good helping of a shredded blend of Mexican cheeses (I like the all-white, authentic variety). If you have toothpicks, use them to hold the chiles closed. Separate 2-3 eggs from their yolks. Beat the whites and yolks separately (Why? IDK, but many recipes have you do this... ). Mix the yolks into the whites. Place some flour in a second bowl. Carefully lower your stuffed chile rellenos, one at a time, first into the flour bowl and then into the egg bowl. In each bowl, make sure your chiles get completely coated. This is tricky! Use your hands to carefully lift each stuffed chile into a greased baking dish. Place remaining meat mixture around the chiles. Bake for 25 minutes at 350, or until coating is lightly browned. Remove from oven and top with more salsa and shredded cheese. Return to oven for 10 more minutes. Enjoy!

ETA: I just realized how silly the packaged apple sauce looks next to my from-scratch chile rellenos! Oh well, at least the applesauce is organic and unsweetened, and it complemented the spiciness of the entree ;-)
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Seeks Same said...

I was looking around for a chile relleno recipe and found your blog... thanks so much! I've been trying to prepare Latin American food lately and learning Spanish online at Babbel.com (http://www.babbel.com) -- it's rewarding to learn the language and the cuisine in tandem.

Jackie F. said...

Mara, I'm glad that my recipe was of good use to you :-) I'm flattered! Also, I wanted to say that I love Babbel, too, and am using it to re-learn Italian. It's nice to hear someone else mention that site!