Wednesday, April 18, 2007

There's Always a First Time for Everything

Sunday evening I had a burrito at Chipotle with family. I felt perfectly fine and later ate again so that I wouldn't wake up delirious with hunger. Within two hours of going to bed, I began to throw up about every ten minutes. Food poisoning? Stomach virus? I don't know... All through the night this continued without break. Eventually, I started suffering from diarrhea as well. In the morning, my mom came over to take care of my two-year-old daughter. I thought that maybe I would quit vomiting and get some rest, but to no avail. I realized that I was severely dehydrated and that the vomiting wasn't going to stop any time soon. So for the first time ever, 911 was called -- for me. Can you believe this?! Now, normally I would let someone just drive me to the ER. But, I didn't think I could sit for hours in the ER waiting room. Also, I didn't think I could make it another second without getting fluids, that's how weak and helpless I felt. Just as I had hoped I got an IV on the way to the hospital and managed to throw up only once. Once at the hospital, I was given anti-nausea medicine and ended up having to stay overnight.

I've had stomach viruses before, but the only time I ever had one nearly this bad was my senior year of high school. It was fall homecoming, and I got sick after eating at a Japanese restaurant. I threw up for five straight days and lost about fifteen pounds. The one big difference between that episode and the current one that led me to the hospital is that with this episode the vomiting seemed non-stop and didn't relieve me at all.

Looking back, there are some things to laugh at. Like the unnecessary sirens wailing as the ambulance approached my house. Like the low battery warning alarm on my rolling IV stand that alerted the entire hallway every time I went to the restroom (since you have to unplug the machine to leave the hospital room). Like the fact that I was wearing mismatched PJ's and a haphazardly-placed headband when the EMTs arrived. When you're THAT sick, you just don't care I guess!!!

Needless to say, I don't have any knitting news or pictures today. Hopefully soon!

1 comment:

Nik said...

honey, take care of yourself.