Sunday, July 27, 2008

Splash: Mermaid Dressup

Marie couldn't wait to try this on even though it's not totally finished. According to her, it's "just like the one in the pattern book." She danced on the bed and sang before demanding that I take her picture. Here is Splash.
Pattern: Splash from New Knits on the Block by Vickie Howell
Yarn: [Knit Picks Shine Sport: 5 skeins turquoise, 2 skeins orchid]; [Knit Picks Sparkle (discontinued): 2 balls lagoon]
Needles: US 3 and US 5
Mods: This pattern is meant for a 5 or 6-year-old girl. Originally, I bought the Shine Sport to size the pattern down. I got a few repeats into the tail fin and decided to frog it and hold a single strand of Sparkle with the Shine to create sparkly blue and green flecks throughout the skirt and tail fin. In order to do this, I upped the number of CO sts from 99 to 109. This was the case for both the skirt/fin and tube top. Since I only had enough Sparkle to complete the skirt/fin, I didn't use it for the purple top. I changed the waistband by having the purl turning ridge be on the RS of the garment.


I still need to make 4 shoulder straps and add a crochet edging to the skirt bottom and tail fin. Otherwise, this project is done! BTW, I got to use the bow stitch on this which I just learned at Knitters Connection last month in the Girly Girl Knitting class.


Posted by Picasa


Posted by Picasa

No comments: